The 50 New Rules of Work

By Robin Sharma
Author of the #1 bestseller The Leader Who Had No Title

50 powerful rules to amp up your game

The global economy is in a state of acute disruption. Competition has never been more fierce. Consumers have never been so well-informed and loudly demanding. And what worked yesterday just might be obsolete today.

But this time is also a great time, for the astonishing few who are ready to show leadership. Leaders are at their absolute best during messy cycles versus during the easy ones. And messy cycles bring with them gorgeous opportunities.

As I sit quietly on this airplane at 40,000 feet, away from the rallying cries of a wired world filled with endless interruptions, I’ve distilled what I’ve been sharing in my presentations to clients across the planet over the past months, from Kuwait and Dubai to Paris, London and Dusseldorf.

Here are 50 powerful rules to amp up your game so this business cycle is one of your best business cycles yet.

The 50 New Rules of Work

1. You are not just paid to work. You are paid to be uncomfortable – and to pursue projects that scare you.
  2. Take care of your relationships and the money will take care of itself.
  3. Lead you first. You can’t help others reach for their highest potential until you’re in the process of reaching for yours.
  4. To double your income, triple your rate of learning.
  5. While victims condemn change, leaders grow inspired by change.
  6. Small daily improvements over time create stunning results.
  7. Surround yourself with people courageous enough to speak truthfully about what’s best for your organization and the customers you serve.
  8. Don’t fall in love with your press releases.
  9. Every moment in front of a customer is a moment of truth (to either show you live by the values you profess – or you don’t).
  10. Copying what your competition is doing just leads to being second best.
  11. Become obsessed with the user experience such that every touchpoint of doing business with you leaves people speechless. No, breathless.
  12. If you’re in business, you’re in show business. The moment you get to work, you’re on stage. Give us the performance of your life.
  13. Be a Master of Your Craft. And practice + practice + practice.
  14. Get fit like Madonna.
  15. Read magazines you don’t usually read. Talk to people who you don’t usually speak to. Go to places you don’t commonly visit. Disrupt your thinking so it stays fresh + hungry + brilliant.
  16. Remember that what makes a great business – in part – are the seemingly insignificant details. Obsess over them.
  17. Good enough just isn’t good enough.
  18. Brilliant things happen when you go the extra mile for every single customer.
  19. An addiction to distraction is the death of creative production. Enough said.
  20. If you’re not failing regularly, you’re definitely not making much progress.
  21. Lift your teammates up versus tear your teammates down. Anyone can be a critic. What takes guts is to see the best in people.
  22. Remember that a critic is a dreamer gone scared.
  23. Leadership’s no longer about position. Now, it’s about passion. And having an impact through the genius-level work that you do.
  24. The bigger the dream, the more important the team.
  25. If you’re not thinking for yourself, you’re following – not leading.
  26. Work hard. But build an exceptional family life. What’s the point of reaching the mountaintop but getting there alone.
  27. The job of the leader is to develop more leaders.
  28. The antidote to deep change is daily learning. Investing in your professional and personal development is the smartest investment you can make. Period.
  29. Smile. It makes a difference.
  30. Say “please” and “thank you”. It makes a difference.
  31. Shift from doing mindless toil to doing valuable work.
  32. Remember that a job is only just a job if all you see it as is a job.
  33. Don’t do your best work for the applause it generates but for the personal pride it delivers.
  34. The only standard worth reaching for is BIW (Best in World).
  35. In the new world of business, everyone works in Human Resources.
  36. In the new world of business, everyone’s part of the leadership team.
  37. Words can inspire. And words can destroy. Choose yours well.
  38. You become your excuses.
  39. You’ll get your game-changing ideas away from the office versus in the middle of work. Make time for solitude. Creativity needs the space to present itself.
  40. The people who gossip about others when they are not around are the people who will gossip about you when you’re not around.
  41. It could take you 30 years to build a great reputation and 30 seconds of bad judgment to lose it.
  42. The client is always watching.
  43. The way you do one thing defines the way you’ll do everything. Every act matters.
  44. To be radically optimistic isn’t soft. It’s hard. Crankiness is easy.
  45. People want to be inspired to pursue a vision. It’s your job to give it to them.
  46. Every visionary was initially called crazy.
  47. The purpose of work is to help people. The other rewards are inevitable by-products of this singular focus.
  48. Remember that the things that get scheduled are the things that get done.
  49. Keep promises and be impeccable with your word. People buy more than just your products and services. They invest in your credibility.
  50. Lead Without a Title.

I encourage you to share + discuss + debate these with your team and throughout your organization. Within a quick period of time, you’ll see some fantastic results.

Keep Leading Without A Title.

Robin Sharma is the author of the #1 international bestseller The Leader Who Had No Title: A Modern Fable About Success in Business and in Life, a book that is causing transformation in many of the best businesses in the world.

Robin’s leadership blog is one of the most popular business blogs on The Internet: http://www.robinsharma.com/blog

Follow Robin on Twitter: http://twitter.com/_robin_sharma

Connect with Robin on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/theofficialrobinsharmapage

Tags: , , , , , , ,

175 Responses to “The 50 New Rules of Work”

1. upkar says:

robin.. u r my mentor.
    thanx fr guiding mE..

2. Eli says:

Thanks Robin. I forwarded this on to my colleagues, friends and posted it on my FB.

3. enjoy says:

hi

wonderful quotes !!! thanxs

4. Zuber Qureshi says:

I have always enjoyed reading your Blog & There has been immense changes in the way i approach & look at things now.

Thanks a ton for the posts & the The 50 New Rules of Work I am sending it to my Team & Colleagues.

Zuber

5. Dr. Mandeep says:

Hello Robin
    I have been following your books & blogs. (Mega Living brought major change)

I must admit that they have brought great change in my personal & professional life.

I wish you & team all the very best.

Always eager to listen new ideas from you
    Best regards/Mandeep

6. Judy Martin says:

Always great material. Not only the insightful list, but the wisdom. Spewing facts is one thing, but going deeper into what I see as a seismic shift in work life consciousness is why I read your blog. I just quoted you in my recent Forbes Post.

7. Yogessh Varan says:

Another string of priceless guidance. Designed to be simple and elegant.
    Thank you so much for your humble sharings Robin.
    You’ve brought great value to the world.

Say “please” and “thank you”. It makes a difference – is my favourite.

Keep shining Robin!
    Greetings from Kuala Lumpur

8. Hello Robin,
    You have summed up so much so beautifully. Thank you. Keep posting…

9. ANKUSH DUBEY says:

HI ROBIN……..
    THANX FR UR INSPIRING LETTER……….IT IS REALLY HELPING ME A LOT……….

10. Mani Bagga says:

You are the Best and I love it every word of it.

11. tariq says:

Great ,Thanx Robin thanx

12. Anna says:

Its great advise to do the best each day and each moment. Live now and do the best because every moment is unique and dont repeat…
    Audi

13. Tosca says:

I like this list. I really do. Thank you. It is 5am and maybe I need coffee but #28 seems…mistakenly worded.

14. jenita says:

It’s wow! it’s incredible. that’s d only word i find to express my feelings.

15. Hi, Man of Motivation says:

You are really a blessed person to help others.thanks for the article…. really amazing….working much efficiently with my team…

16. Anthony says:

You have profound timeless truths for personal develpopment

17. S.Srinivas says:

It’s reaally incredible list of truths to be followed to have a life worth living both professionally and personally.

18. I love this list and your books. Keep up the great work of developing leaders. Keith Johnson

19. Jay says:

H Robin,

The books and your quotes are truly inspirational and life changer.

Thank you so much for helping people to live a better life

20. Milena says:

Thank you very much for your generosity. All your advice is always higly estimated.
    Please continue giving, leading and having great success.

21. ruchi says:

inspiring u r!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. good; a candid question on the sanctity of the number chosen to list; is it enough or just right?
    Could not be a number 37 or any other odd number or ten commandments do?

We were recently enamoured by a businessman’s advice to his children while he was on his death bed

Go to the shop in shade and return in shade – do not let the heat of the Sun bother you
    Instead of building a cover from home up to shop, go early to the shop and return late from the shop.

Always eat sweets
    Instead of literally eating sweets and spoiling health, eat when you are truly hungry – then everything will feel sweet.

Never go for collection after lending
    Instead of lending and not collecting, lend in such a way that the debtor comes back to pay (i.e. hold something with you to make the debtor come back to you)

Build a fence of bones around you
    Instead of building a fence literally, keep the mouth shut (teeth act as a fence around tongue) thereby not inviting unnecessary problems (not having to put foot in the mouth)

Wherever you go, always eat hot homely meals
    Develop relationships such that when you travel to other places you have friends who will invite you for homely meals.

Best Regards

AT Kishore

23. jolly anju says:

robin ur books inspired me in such a way that i want to meet you.you r my guru after my spiritual guru sri sri ravi shankerji
    thaks a lot ……jolly

24. vishal says:

thanks robin you have really changed the way of living of mine. thanks thanks thanks ……………………

25. Krishna says:

Just WOW. Very Inspiring

26. Leah de Souza says:

This list is FABULOUS! So much of it captures my core beliefs about about work and life. Honestly, if I did even half of this every day I believe I could take my businesses to the next level. Thank you Robin.

27. bhargav says:

see the movie’ ‘ shor in the city ” tushar kapur starer, in last seen of tushar kapoor he had book in his hand, it is yours , the monk who sold his ferari.

28. Sireesha Chowdary says:

Superb, really motivated my self!! Thanks for sharing!!

29. Sujay Dicholkar says:

Dear Sir Robin. I am always amazed by your mental strengh to guide this world towards greatness. I want to spread your message as far as I can. Thanks .

30. someshwar says:

thank you so much robin. Very kind of you.

31. DILEEP KUMAR says:

THANKS A LOT TO INSPIRED IHE PEOPLE LIKE US AND CONTINUE IT.

32. PATRICIA MUTIMBI says:

I LOVE ROBIN SHARMA.YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME AND CHANGED ME ESP WITH THE BOOK”THE MONK WHO SOLD HIS FERRARI”

33. Dr.Abhiram Pendharkar says:

Dear Robin
    Thanks for ur every book/pod cast/blogs..I read every ur book.U r genious .
    I will arrange ur seminar in India in future.Thanks..Regards.God bless u.

34. Nancy says:

Love this article! Thank you for your insight.

35. i like this articie…………….how could u write such inspiring things……great .

36. Panchal says:

Robin, your guidelines are awesome and amazing. It gives me immense pleasure to mention you to my friends and colleagues. An evangelist of the world for inspiring and motivating the present generations. Valuable and precious. Undoubtedly, the practical tips are quite interesting to practice. The world looks better as we ourselves get better.

37. Naxatra says:

I will be back to you, Robin when I am BIW. Till then I am postponing our meet…Offcourse Thank you for the tips…Viz

38. Marco Silva says:

Thank You Robin for the inspiring and motivating post and work!

I would like to congratulate you on your last book – LWT – inspiring and mind-blowing!

All the best from Majorca – Spain

39. DoRiS says:

Nice quotes and real inspiring. Have always been keeping in mind #29. A simple smile do make all the difference sometimes. Thanks for sharing!

40. Lisa Marin says:

Hi Robin, a friend forwarded your blog to me and there are some pretty great points you make! How do I get permission to send these to some clients or include them in a newsletter?

Thanks for your thoughtfulness – it will inspire mine.

41. anoop says:

I m great fan of yours.I like ur ideas n I implement them thanks for changing my life.

42. Hello Robin, I loved reading your 50 New rules for work. I have since applied to my work & staff. I have my own list of “Health Rules”. I wondered what you mean by “Get fit like Madonna”? I am curious about you stance on health. Kind regards
    Anthia

43. kabir vaid says:

Dear Robin
    Your energy and thoughts are very inspiring . The greatest motivation comes from your videos and black dress have been following you a lott and you have completely helped to change me .

Warm regards
    Kabir vaid

44. Michael O'Hara says:

Thank you for these thoughts. I am again reminded of how each of us can inspire those around us and that our actions matter, always.

45. cisomo zulu says:

Great encouragement and writting, alwayz inspiring.

46. Tapas says:

I wise I would have read your books at much earlier stage. But better late than never. Spending 15 mins with your audio can unfold the day better. I love those simple but powerful words. Keep uplifting people.

47. chinta says:

THANKS ALOT ROBIN

48. To multiply your satisfaction, find better way to satisfaction.
    These 50 points give take us to the journey of happiness, and our vision.

Ultimately towards a better satisfaction.

Thanks
    Cheers

49. Ravish says:

Thanks for “The 50 New Rules of Work”. They are good for reading and following in your professional and personal lives.

I will forward the same to my peers and colleagues.

Thanks,