17 Tips to Double Your Productivity In 14 Days

By Robin Sharma
Author of the #1 bestseller The Leader Who Had No Title

17 tactics to reach your productive best

I’m in Trinidad and Tobago, finishing up an intense but fulfilling tour through Latin America. Yesterday I spoke to the leaders of the government of this resource and culture-rich nation. As well as to 350 schoolkids on Leading Without a Title (here’s a link to a newspaper review of the event with the kids). I realized how much I love teaching kids about leadership.

I wanted to share 17 of the tactics I’ve learned that I know will help you lean into your productive best in this age of dramatic distraction:

17 Tips To Double Your Productivity In 14 Days

1. Turn off all technology for 60 minutes a day and focus on doing your most important work.

2. Work in 90 minute cycles (tons of science is now confirming that this is the optimal work to rest ratio).

3. Start your day with at least 30 minutes of exercise.

4. Don’t check your email first thing in the morning.

5. Turn all your electronic notifications off.

6. Take one day a week as a complete recovery day, to refuel and regenerate (that means no email, no phone calls and zero work). You need full recovery one day a week otherwise you’ll start depleting your capabilities.

7. The data says workers are interrupted every 11 minutes. Distractions destroy productivity. Learn to protect your time and say no to interruptions.

8. Schedule every day of your week every Sunday morning. A plan relieves you of the torment of choice (said novelist Saul Bellow). It restores focus and provides energy.

9. Work in blocks of time. Creative geniuses all had 2 things in common: when they worked they were fully engaged and when they worked, they worked with this deep concentration for long periods of time. Rare in this world of entrepreneurs who can’t sit still.

10. Drink a liter of water early every morning. We wake up dehydrated. The most precious asset of an entrepreneur isn’t time – it’s energy. Water restores it.

11. Don’t answer your phone every time it rings.

12. Invest in your professional development so you bring more value to the hours you work.

13. Avoid gossip and time vampires.

14. Touch paper just once.

15. Keep a “Stop Doing List”.

16. Get up at 5 am.

17. Have meetings standing up.

Stay Productive and Make Your Work Matter!

Kindest regards,

Robin Sharma

I hope these ideas have been helpful to you.

Tags: , ,

102 Responses to “17 Tips to Double Your Productivity In 14 Days”

1. RAJ says:

Recently i starts reading ur book,it was amazing i read complete book who will cry when u die its superb…..
    now i bought leader who had no title….yet to read.

In above tips,i have a doubt regarding “Don’t answer your phone every time it rings” since i am working in production environment can u help me to tackle it

Raj

2. Thank you. I am glad to see some “health” related information about drinking water. I usually work in 25/30 minute blocks and get up to fill my large water glass at each break. I don’t realize how thirsty I am if I DON’T have the water. But the glass is always empty after 30 minutes. I find if I have the water there, I will drink it. There are some tasks that I use more of a 90 minute block and I will try it for more tasks.

3. “Tons of science”? Citation needed!

Also, “90 minutes” is not a ratio.

Interested to hear more about that.

The last time I looked into this I came up with a recommendation of 45 minutes on and a couple minutes (or maybe 15 minutes) off.
    It was from a blurbification of a workshop called “Practical Strategies for Writing a Dissertation or Thesis” by Dorothy Duff Brown, PhD.

4. Nikhil Tibrewal says:

Sir first of all congratulation for your huge success of The Leader without Title. I would like to know what did you mean by “Touch Paper just once” and “Turn all your electronic notification off”

5. KSV says:

Robin, I just want to say Thank You!!! your books have been really and inspiration for me.. they had help me in my hardest moments… Thank Got for put You for be here!!!

It’s amazing how simple ideas can really improve your life… In only few months I can assure that I have become a complete new person happier and continuously growing!!!

Thanks!!!!!

6. 15. Keep a “Stop Doing List”. – Superb!

7. Parissa Tock says:

I would say one of the best things in my life is to have your book! Just finished “7 stages of Awakening”, and I can feel love flowing out from the book with every page i turned. Your wise words have helped me so much to discover the strength and love within me when a crisis hit my family recently. It also helped me feel my deepest emotions, and to acknowledge my fears. I am most thankful to you for your wonderful and great work! Cheers!

8. Mr. Shah says:

Hi…. It’s me Shah I would like to meet you. I am from kerala You are my Role-Model.

9. Pramod Lolage says:

Robin sir I want to thank You!!! For this Blog

4. Don’t check your email first thing in the morning. This Statement is Superb!!!

10. sneha says:

11. sneha says:

Thanks Robin , I would be very glad if you could clarify what the last point which says – Having meetings standing up – wat does it means????????????????

12. Anuj Gupta says:

You are indeed changing lives of people Robin. First time after reading your Leaderwhohadnotitle I am working towards quitting smoking. Yours whowillcrywhenyoudie is also good. Keep writing Robin…..Its working really for me. Thanks a ton.

13. Subhas Roy says:

Tips are eye openers indeed!
    I would like to know what did you mean by “Touch Paper just once”.
    Subhas Roy

14. Sufi Roshan says:

Hey robin ,

I have been reading you since 3 years and i recently read your book a leader without title and its an amazing book , thanks

Sufi

15. Gururaj vairag says:

Your books are rejuvenating my life…. taking in completely perfectly life in IT career and personal life to stay Happy in life :)
    Completed “The Monk who sold his Ferrari “ and “the leader who had no title”, brought “Who will cry when u die” yet to start.

thanks,
    Guru

16. sachiraj padmakar says:

dear respected sirg
    I had already read your six books in a row.I recently finished”THE GREATNESS GUIDE”.
    Your all books are amazing and has a life changing effect on people .
    In a world of many bad happening and wrong doings it has something fresh and natural.

Thanks for these ALL BOOKS
    sachiraj padmakar
    JAMUI BIHAR

17. farmash says:

hello everybody,
    its so true that robin has touched so many of our lives. I thought of elaborating on a few points which are unclear to some friends. a) have meetings standing up- surely it adds a lot of life and energy to the meeting, sitting down is more of a chat, sometimes boring and not so intensive approach. b) touch paper only once- most amazing, every 2 months when we look at the number of paper and files and bills on our desk, at home and everywhere else, must be surely driving you nuts, surely i go crazy. hence, its best to read and tear if its not important and if it is on priority then get the work done asap.
    cheeeeeeeeeeers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. CIRO RIVERA says:

Excelente, yo ya estoy haciendo algunos puntos y me siento mas motivado, lleno de energia y con la mente mas clara para hacer mis acticidades diarias. Ademas he aprendido a buscar y hacer solo lo que me gusta.
    Saludos

19. Pradeep Sharma says:

thanks a lot sir,it was amazing to read this article and please sir describe the sentence”touch paper just once”

20. Dr. Hyam Rajeshkumar says:

I fully agree with your 17 tips and following the same…

21. Inosha Emerson says:

I heard these tips at the lead without a title presentation in Sri Lanka. Loved every minute of it. I will surely try my best to do them from now on.

22. Nalin Edirisinghe says:

Its really fantastic and latest idea for busy people and really appreciate your valuable idea.. keep it up

23. Manish says:

hi, sir thanks for your perfect tips and your amazing books…… i just start reading your book “the Greatness Guide” its an amazing books and it help to build my confidence………

24. Bijay kumar rath says:

Hi robin,
    Thannks a lot for sharing these principles. Already I have been through with Leader who had no title & The monk who sold his ferrari, you wont believe I have read it more than 10 times. It helped me a lot in my life. I will recommened everyone to read this at least once in your life time…I am dam sure it will change your entire life. Hats off to you robin………..

25. kanishkaa rahul pandey says:

Your work has helped change many lives n I am no exception!!Thanks a ton!!

26. V Chennakesava Rao says:

Dear Mr. Robin,

Great contributions you are making to the world, especially to youth. We are in the era of information overloaded, you are giving good picks in the overloaded information.
    Keep educating the people. God bless you…..

27. nilesh says:

Which is the next book after lead without title.?

28. hariprasad says:

WOW…….

29. [...] 6) 17 Tips to Double Your Productivity In 14 Days (5708 Shares) One of the modules from “The Remarkable Entrepreneur SuperConference” that happens in June is on “Doubling Your Productivity in 30 Days”, based on my work with some of the most successful entrepreneurs in business. I wanted to share 17 of the tactics I’ve learned that I know will help you lean into your productive best in this age of dramatic distraction. Click here to read more… [...]

30. Chandra says:

It is with great anticipation I wait to receive your mails. The principles listed are really wonderful and I plan to take the first steps to move forward. Thanks for being there for so many of us and God Bless you for the wonderful you are doing. I look forward to emulating you in some small measure such that my life is enriched. I have all your books and read them at random as and when I need to stop the mental turmoil.
    Thanks once again.

31. Payal Shah says:

best tips ever … THANKS A LOTTT !!!

32. gs says:

“Touch paper just once”. I think he means newspaper.

33. karan says:

dear can any one explain touch paper once .. what it means..

34. Stephen says:

“touch paper once” – pick up a document – read it, file it or bin it – just don’t put it down on your desk or add it to the growing pile in the corner where you will have to handle it again – apart from the time waste, that pile is an emotional and psychological energy drain…

35. sujit das says:

thanks for giving us 1 7 tips to double our productivity and being a DO of lici i need your help to enhance my team’s productivity.

36. Sreedhar says:

Hi Sneha

“Touch Paper only once ” is used in the context of organizing your work place.

Our desk gets cluttered due to 2 reasons. 1) laziness in clearing (procrastination) 2) Indecisiveness when you handle work items.

When you deal with your “inbox” for papers on your desk, look at each paper only once and make a decision about it, else you need to come back again and there is lot of time that gets wasted.

Hope this helps !

Sreedhar

37. Samhita mahata says:

touch paper once means?

38. Irfan says:

Thanks for such a simple and nice tips!
    Tips like 6 ,8, 10, 12 and 15th are superb. Great

39. Diana says:

Thanks a million,Robby!!!

40. Sunil says:

Hi Robin ,

Thank you for your amazing books which has helped me lot ,

I have read the leader who had no title”, “Who will cry when u die, The Monk who sold his Ferrari,Greatness Guide,Mega living,all books

You have become role model for me,Thank you very much Sir,I want to meet you.

Great going and changing the Society with your Valueable contribution,great ideas,lots more.

Thanks Again

41. Raj says:

Dear Robin, Recently , I am going through some of your blogs and am enriched by the contents. Especially the idea of doing your most important work in a different way appealed to me very much. Meanwhile, I am learning Spanish and let me take the liberty to post some of my comments in that language.– With warm regards, -Raj

42. Rajmohan says:

Now words to say…..Really superb “Who will cry when you die”…..I read many times some topics whenever I become tired, sad and weak. Nowadays I am having this book in my office bag permanently. Best Wishes for your successful career….Keep it up…..

43. vikas says:

Thanks a lot…!
    This is the thing i was needing most importantly at the moment…!

44. Sunita Goel says:

giving an idea when and where I waste time.

THANKS

45. Sohan Tiwade says:

I am an ardent fan of your books. I have ready your classics like, ‘The Monk who sold his Ferrari’ The Secret Letters to Monk who sold his Ferrari’, ‘The CEO, Saint and Surfer’, ‘Mega Living’ etc. I really love the way you express timeless truths in simple layman’s language that can be digested by all. I myself am into training for Soft Skills and a Motivational Speaker. I dream of becoming like you and touching lives and leaving them better. Here I want to wish you the very best in your endeavors.
    Thank you.

46. nikhil kaushik says:

planning
    and keeping a stop doing list are great productivity tools.

47. rahul says:

sir i recently read your “THE GREATNESS GUIDE” i want to know what is mean by”success is cosistency in all about your fundamentals”

48. Kirtu Riba says:

Anyone can raise his efficiency by reading and applying these arts. Thanks to Robin for the post.

49. Without name says:

Hi, I can do everything except wake up at 5:00 am because it is very difficult to do it

50. Annabelle Calvert says:

I am taking to change by this guide by doing two of these things everyday so that in a 2 week period I would of implemented tham all in my life and my working life, I cannot thankyou enough for your constant reminders of making change, thankyou, Annabelle