The 50 Business + Life Lessons 2012 Taught Me

2012′s coming to a close. It was a hard year for people behaving as victims. And a superb year for people like you showing up as leaders (and world-builders).

I’m in reflection mode as I review the past 12 months, record what I learned in my journal and set precise and clear goals+plans for 2013.

I wanted to share 50 of my best lessons learned (or reinforced) from 2012. So here you go:

1. Hard work is a force multiplier.

2. Don’t participate in recessions.

3. Exercising for 20 minutes first thing in the morning is a game-changer.

4. If you’re not innovating daily, you’re on the path to obsolescence.

5. If you want an A-Level company, you can’t afford to hire B-Level players.

6. Procrastination is an escape mechanism for people scared to do their best work.

7. Give your customers 10X the value they expect and they’ll tell everyone they know about you.

8. Don’t do it if you’re not having fun.

9. If you’re not scared a lot you’re not growing very much.

10. Invest the time to create great social media content and your base will go global + viral.

11. There’s never been a better time to be a social entrepreneur.

12. It’s never been easier to be of service to a large amount of people (and few things are as rewarding).

13. When no one else believes in your vision, you absolutely must stay true to your vision. (Have the guts to stay in the game far longer than makes any sense).

14. The quickest way to build a superb business is to quickly develop the leadership potential of every teammate.

15. A job is only a job if you choose to see your work as a job. All work is a noble sport. (The reality is all work is a chance to express your genius–and to inspire the world).

16. People are craving transparency+authenticity and community. Give it to them.

17. Creativity comes in seasons. There’s a time to harvest your ideas. And there’s a time to let the field sit fallow. (I’ve been working on integrating this lesson for years).

18. Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is relax (When you relax, your brain shifts into alpha state–the time when million-dollar ideas present themselves).

19. Change is hard at the beginning, messy in the middle and gorgeous at the end. (And without change, there is no progress).

20. Someone’s going to win in your space. Why not you?

21. 10X the size of your dreams because if you don’t, you’ll wish you did.

22. Pursue excellence versus chasing perfection.

23. Celebrate small wins and you’ll unleash a huge amount of momentum and positive energy.

24. Learn for an hour a day, no matter what. That’s not a waste of work time. It’s a brilliant use of your work time because you’re paid to know more than anyone who has ever done your job.

25. Why go for good at what you do when you can stand for iconic?

26. Transform your fitness and you’ll transform your business.

27. Delete victimspeak from your languaging. No more "I can’t" and "It’s not possible" and "It’s so hard." More "I will" and "This is awesome" and "What’s the opportunity here?"

28. If you inspire one person each day, you’re day hasn’t been a waste. It’s been a blessing.

29. Living in the past is disrespecting your future.

30. Build an amazing career but enjoy your lifestyle along the way. What’s the point of becoming a business legend but a failed human being.

31. Look people in the eyes when you talk to them. Smile at people when you see them. Say "please" to respect them. And "thank you" to appreciate them.

32. Don’t be on time–Be early.

33. The person who tries to do everything achieves nothing. Focus. Focus. Focus.

34. Spend the first 90 minutes of your work day on real work versus fake work. (Another game-changing tactic that served me so very well in 2012).

35. Spend time in silence each day. You’ll never do Jay-Z level work if you’re overstimulated by technology.

36. Goal-setting is mission-critical. (Review your Big 5, quarterly goals and daily goals constantly).

37. Your daily behavior broadcasts your truest beliefs.

38. To have the results only 5% of businesspeople have, have the guts to do what only 5% of businesspeople are willing to do.

39. World-class begins when you think you’ve done a great job but know you can do a better job.

40. Remember that your greatest gift is so much stronger than your deepest fear.

41. Everyone’s in Human Resources. And we are all paid to develop the talents of the people we work with.

42. Mediocrity is a mindset. Avoid the mental viruses of negative people.

43. Be the most honest person you know. It generally takes 30 years to build a fantastic reputation. And 30 seconds to lose it by a single silly move.

44. Become a lion–not a sheep.

45. People are always willing to pay for the best.

46. The more devoted you become to serving others, the more your career begins to build itself.

47. Problems come to test your commitment to your goals, hopes and dreams.

48. As you become more successful, get more hungry.

49. Join Traffic University. Use every possible moment in the car to upgrade your skills, polish your gifts and elevate your mindset.

50. Use your life to make the world a better place.

I hope these 50 ideas have helped you. And I so hope I’ve been of service to you in your business and personal life this year. I enthusiastically wish you and those closest to you an even better year ahead. Let’s make it wow.

Comments

comments

161 Responses to “The 50 Business + Life Lessons 2012 Taught Me”

1. Sylvie Hanes says:

Your list is a breath of fresh air in a world where many seem to make success unobtainable – thanks for sharing your experience, your wisdom and your insights with us!
    Best to you and your family for the new year

2. Robin says:

Sylvie–thanks so much for sharing your words

3. I saw you in July at TSFL National Convention. You inspired me so much and I have realized a new path. I retired today from 27 years as a civil servant in the hopes of inspiring others to dream big, take baby steps each day to make it happen, and continue believing when others think you’re crazy! Yes, I got lots of responses that I needed to stay 5 more years, what are you doing, etc. but, you helped me see there is much more to my life and the time is now to live it!!

Thank you for sharing with me and helping me stay focused on what matters most!!!

Best wishes for a wonderful 2013!!

Yours truly,
    Debbie

4. sanjeev says:

Dear Sir,
    Really these 50 points are awesome for me. I have also read your famous books ‘Who will die when you cry’ and now a days reading ‘Greatness Guide’. I am true saying that these books have changed my personal and professional life.

Great job!

Wish you and you family, very happy new year!

Sanjeev

5. sanjeev says:

[Kindly ignore my previous comment]

Dear Sir,
    Really these 50 points are awesome for me. I have also read your famous books ‘Who will cry when you die’ and now a days reading ‘Greatness Guide’. I am true saying that these books have changed my personal and professional life.

Great job!

Wish you and you family, very happy new year!

Yours sincerely,
    Sanjeev

6. Fraser says:

Can you provide a link to Traffic Univerity? Coming up blank on searches …

Thanks for the great post!

7. Srikanth says:

Thanks for sharing,
    Best wishes for New Year..!

Sri

8. Lalit says:

Robin Sir,
    Your list carries immense energy and potential for those who are ever committed of reaching the next level in whatever be their profession. Every single lesson can be well adaptable to business and personal life to be the best. I have read your books and find them helping me a lot to be a successful human being.

Best regards and I wish you a very bright and healthy 2013 !!!

Lalit Ratnani

9. Sharmila says:

Dear Robin

I am blown away by the 50 points – if I can follow 10 of these religiously, I am on my way to greatness.

Wish you, your family and your team a fabuluos 2013 and keep inspiring us.

Warm regards

Sharmila

10. RANJEET KUMAR SINGH says:

you thought’s are truely fabulous sir. I am inspired with your thought. you are the best.

11. Cristian says:

your stuburness in making the world a better place amazes me every time.

Thank you for all the wisdom shared throught this year.

Kindest regards

Cristian / Romania

12. Ljiljana says:

Thank you so much for all your thoughts you have shared with me so far I just want to tell you that I appreciate it so much that some of it was published in my University textbook for my students (‘The Robin Sharma 73′). I thought you would be glad!
    Wishing you the best New Year and thanking you again,

Lilian

13. Roza says:

Dear Mr.Sharma,

Thanks for your lessons you sent for me in this 2012
    You inspired me all this year, so I strongly decide to follow your words and expirience in the next 2013, too.

I wish you and your family HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

Roza/Macedonia

14. Donald says:

Robin: I was introduced to your work by a co worker in the form of ” The Monk who sold his Ferrari.” in 2002. I have been following your leadership, knowledge, greatness guides and literature ever since.

I buy your books as gifts for family and friends. I believe that the gift of knowledge is the greatest gift we can give. With knowledge comes power and with power comes enlightenment, choice, free will and confidence.

The world would be a better place if there were more Robin Sharma’s in it.

The next best thing is for ordinary folk to shed mediocrity and follow your lead and be great in what ever field they are in.

I try to follow your lead and share you thoughts and teachings with others in my groups and conections.

I look forward to your posts in the future.

Happy New Year to you and your family,

Don Megrath

15. Helen Scott says:

Dear Robin

Thank you so much for these 50 ideas which are so inspiring and actionable.
    My one takeaway is to be early always and not on time .. And will certainly have fun in everything
    I do from now on ..

Have a Great Year ahead …

16. Harshi says:

Thank you Robin..! Thank you for sharing your lessons with so much strength and clarity. You are a blessing, a rock in our life. Life sways, but your commitment to sharing your vision stays. You change lives with your insights. Thank you for always being there for us, and leading us to make our lives heroic. Wishing you too, a fantastic year ahead, and all the joy and peace in following your heart-felt, authentic paths. Harshi

17. Hallo Robin. These lessons are big stuff.Man you are Godsend.congrates and happy& healthy 2013. Herbal Health Naturally

18. Ehsan says:

The fact is that you wholeheartedly believe when your followers, friends, grow, you grow more; when they grow more, you grow more and more. And not everyone can be this great in life.

Thank you very much for all the moving moments you’ve been giving me.

Happy 2013…

19. Vinod says:

Thanks a lot, Have a great Day !

20. YANESH says:

Great 50 points, very inspiring indeed!
    Im from Mauritius!
    Happy New Year 2013 to you and your family.
    Lets make 2013 a great one . . .
    YANESH

21. Chonad Purushothaman says:

Your 50 ideas are really refreshing … Thank you ..

Wish you and your family a very Happy New Year and continued succes in all your future ventures.

22. venkatesan says:

I read few of your books like Greatness guide,Lead without title etc and has been hearing your audio of that LWT as well.Fabulous stuff.
    Gone through this post and are extremely useful.
    Many thanks to you,
    Wish you a great new year
    regards,
    venkatesan.

23. John says:

Robin Sir,

I have read your articles, books and watched your videos.

I WAS AMAZED THAT I CHANGED MYSELF FOR GOOD NOT ONLY INTELLECTUALLY BUT PHYSICALLY AND SPIRITUALLY AS WELL.

Your awesome teachings taught me one thing for sure among many and that is “Regularity is the key to success”.

As Nido Qubein says “The price of discipline is always less than the pain of regret”

Thanks a lot Robin Sir.

Wish you a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

24. Romila says:

hello,

thanks for this wonderful sharing: refreshing and dynamic

God bless and happy new year to you, your family and your team.
    Romila

25. Roshan says:

It’s been 1 month exactly now, that i have been able to witness a first great change in my life soon after i read “The Leader Who Had No Title”. Thanxaton for that.

These 50 lessons have tons of potential in them, I’ll make sure that i’ll make a best attempt to follow as many of them starting from today.

Wishing you all the very best and a Happy New Year.

Best Regards
    Roshan

26. s.thirupathi reddy says:

Dear Mr Robin sharma,
    Fabulous and inspiring.You are my role model. My goal is to become a trainer, to change myself and make this mother earth a better place to live.

wish you all the very best.

Regards.

S.T.Reddy

27. Suresh says:

Its wonderful to be associated thru your writings, this has really helped to make a lot of changes in my day to day life.
    Keep inspiring,,,

Happy New Year to you & your family.
    Suresh.

28. G.V.V.Subba Rao says:

Dear Sir,

Keep enlighten the world with your great works.

Wish you and you family, very Happy and Prosperous new year.

G.V.V

29. Renu says:

Thanks for sharing life’s most important values with us.
    Your books and words of wisdom have been very inspiring….Thanks for being there when needed most….

Happy 2013 !!!!

Best regards

30. Toshica says:

I would like to thank you and your whole team for these amazing points
    which you have shared with thousands of people throughout the world.
    I have been inspired by you and your books.Thanks a lot.
    Warm wishes to you,your family and your whole team.
    Happy new year 2013.

31. Hamza says:

Line 28: your*

32. Anuja says:

Hi Robin…

Thanks for sharing.
    Happy new year 2013. Looking forward for more insights from you in coming year!
    I am inspired by you and your books immensely.

Stay Gr8.

Anuja

33. Sanjeev Sharma says:

Greetings…!

Thanks for sharing such a fabulous 50 points from your experience. I will definetly implement the same in 2013.

Hope to see your more books in future…!

Wish you and your family a Very Happy New Year…2013

Sanjeev Sharma
    New Delhi – India

34. Jose Olivert says:

Just say thank you for sharing with us such a great ideas.
    I wish you the best for 2013.

Jose.

35. Sentoe says:

No doubts….Words of Wisdom!!

I salute your work Robin. The world needs more of similar kind !

36. BENALLOUANE says:

A big thank you to all of you and notament ROBIN ever to enhance our work and allows many to go until the end of their work and their dreams.

Happy New Year to all and now you all know how to make your year better than the previous …

37. Mottaki says:

Your words of wisdom helps us to grow.You have been inspiring me and my team members. Thank you and Wish you a happy new year & lots of success in 2013.

38. Shweta says:

Dear sir,

I wish you Happy New year………
    Those 50 points are amazing , they inspired me a lot . These are helping me to improve myself more. I truly agree with all this points. These are true,motivational,awesome.

yours faithfully
    Shweta

39. Abhishek Chavhan says:

your every word, every message, every idea, every title, Spreads lots of energy inside Me…!
    So, Thanks a lot for your guidance…!

40. DB says:

Lovely…… Keep up the good work!!! Have a prosperous and wonderful year ahead!!!

41. Ashwin Mallya says:

Have been initiated into the LWOT mould.

Will experience the new year in a refreshingly new way….these 50 pearls , priceless!

42. Robin:
    I just shared the link with friends and people I really appreciate, hope they read this with calm and focus, your books, and messages are always welcome in all aspects of life, business, family, emotional, relationship, thanks for this 2012 and I´ll keep following u all 2013!
    Carlos

43. Eva Redpath says:

“Living In The Past Is So Disrespectful To Your Future!” Robin Sharma – I adore you. Thank you for being the inspiration I need to keep pursuing my dreams.

Eva Redpath

44. Amal Simothy says:

Awesome. Great admirer of yours since read monk sold his ferrari back in 2008. thanks for sharing. Wish you and family including genius Colby a very happy and prosperous new year with outstanding god helath and vitality. Best wishes Amal

45. Hi Robin!

What a fantastic list. I’ll be working on some of those in 2013, especially 22 (excellence!) & 33 (focus!). My first visit to your site, but I’ll be back.

Happy New Year!

Cheers!

46. It is correct writtern in 50 point to make your life sucessful

47. vikas says:

thank u sir for inspiring and giving a direction to my life and to millions of others like me.i promise (and also do) to spread your wisdom with the people i interact with.may this year b 1 of the best years of your life.your fan

48. Akshay says:

Sir,

Its wonderful seeing you changing the lives of millions of people and making this world a better place to live . . .You are the best ! ! !

AK

49. praveen kumar says:

Thanks a lot dear,for your wonderful job which is lighting millions of lives every day…

Praveen Kumar

50. Dear Robin, awesome list to share with my family and employees. I look forward to interacting with you more in 2013. Thank you.