The 50 Business + Life Lessons 2012 Taught Me

2012′s coming to a close. It was a hard year for people behaving as victims. And a superb year for people like you showing up as leaders (and world-builders).

I’m in reflection mode as I review the past 12 months, record what I learned in my journal and set precise and clear goals+plans for 2013.

I wanted to share 50 of my best lessons learned (or reinforced) from 2012. So here you go:

1. Hard work is a force multiplier.

2. Don’t participate in recessions.

3. Exercising for 20 minutes first thing in the morning is a game-changer.

4. If you’re not innovating daily, you’re on the path to obsolescence.

5. If you want an A-Level company, you can’t afford to hire B-Level players.

6. Procrastination is an escape mechanism for people scared to do their best work.

7. Give your customers 10X the value they expect and they’ll tell everyone they know about you.

8. Don’t do it if you’re not having fun.

9. If you’re not scared a lot you’re not growing very much.

10. Invest the time to create great social media content and your base will go global + viral.

11. There’s never been a better time to be a social entrepreneur.

12. It’s never been easier to be of service to a large amount of people (and few things are as rewarding).

13. When no one else believes in your vision, you absolutely must stay true to your vision. (Have the guts to stay in the game far longer than makes any sense).

14. The quickest way to build a superb business is to quickly develop the leadership potential of every teammate.

15. A job is only a job if you choose to see your work as a job. All work is a noble sport. (The reality is all work is a chance to express your genius–and to inspire the world).

16. People are craving transparency+authenticity and community. Give it to them.

17. Creativity comes in seasons. There’s a time to harvest your ideas. And there’s a time to let the field sit fallow. (I’ve been working on integrating this lesson for years).

18. Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is relax (When you relax, your brain shifts into alpha state–the time when million-dollar ideas present themselves).

19. Change is hard at the beginning, messy in the middle and gorgeous at the end. (And without change, there is no progress).

20. Someone’s going to win in your space. Why not you?

21. 10X the size of your dreams because if you don’t, you’ll wish you did.

22. Pursue excellence versus chasing perfection.

23. Celebrate small wins and you’ll unleash a huge amount of momentum and positive energy.

24. Learn for an hour a day, no matter what. That’s not a waste of work time. It’s a brilliant use of your work time because you’re paid to know more than anyone who has ever done your job.

25. Why go for good at what you do when you can stand for iconic?

26. Transform your fitness and you’ll transform your business.

27. Delete victimspeak from your languaging. No more "I can’t" and "It’s not possible" and "It’s so hard." More "I will" and "This is awesome" and "What’s the opportunity here?"

28. If you inspire one person each day, you’re day hasn’t been a waste. It’s been a blessing.

29. Living in the past is disrespecting your future.

30. Build an amazing career but enjoy your lifestyle along the way. What’s the point of becoming a business legend but a failed human being.

31. Look people in the eyes when you talk to them. Smile at people when you see them. Say "please" to respect them. And "thank you" to appreciate them.

32. Don’t be on time–Be early.

33. The person who tries to do everything achieves nothing. Focus. Focus. Focus.

34. Spend the first 90 minutes of your work day on real work versus fake work. (Another game-changing tactic that served me so very well in 2012).

35. Spend time in silence each day. You’ll never do Jay-Z level work if you’re overstimulated by technology.

36. Goal-setting is mission-critical. (Review your Big 5, quarterly goals and daily goals constantly).

37. Your daily behavior broadcasts your truest beliefs.

38. To have the results only 5% of businesspeople have, have the guts to do what only 5% of businesspeople are willing to do.

39. World-class begins when you think you’ve done a great job but know you can do a better job.

40. Remember that your greatest gift is so much stronger than your deepest fear.

41. Everyone’s in Human Resources. And we are all paid to develop the talents of the people we work with.

42. Mediocrity is a mindset. Avoid the mental viruses of negative people.

43. Be the most honest person you know. It generally takes 30 years to build a fantastic reputation. And 30 seconds to lose it by a single silly move.

44. Become a lion–not a sheep.

45. People are always willing to pay for the best.

46. The more devoted you become to serving others, the more your career begins to build itself.

47. Problems come to test your commitment to your goals, hopes and dreams.

48. As you become more successful, get more hungry.

49. Join Traffic University. Use every possible moment in the car to upgrade your skills, polish your gifts and elevate your mindset.

50. Use your life to make the world a better place.

I hope these 50 ideas have helped you. And I so hope I’ve been of service to you in your business and personal life this year. I enthusiastically wish you and those closest to you an even better year ahead. Let’s make it wow.

161 Responses to “The 50 Business + Life Lessons 2012 Taught Me”

1. Sadiq says:

Dear Mr. Robin,
    Wish You All Happy New Year 2012.

Very glad enough to receive your inspirational words and God Bless You all forever.

Saduq

2. Sadiq says:

Its a mistake and it is 2013.

Sadiq

3. robin says:

Thanks again for all the comments pouring in from across the world. I appreciate each of you more than you know. Be great this New year! Let’s change the world!

4. Rajabalaji MP says:

Fantastic 50! Motivation unlimited!! :)

5. Rui says:

Great,great…soo great!!!
    It is as if our deepest and drowsy thoughts , get out of your mouth!!!!
    Thank you, and a wonderfull and happy 2013 for you all.

6. i am now inspired to make some more points, for them who want to try more :) Nice share.

7. Laxmikant Kanna says:

Thanks Robin for sharing such worthy lessons.

Thank You and Happy new year 2013!

8. Durgesh says:

Hey Robin,

I Just Love your Books and your Style of Straight to the Point!!

This 5o points are like a crash course.. Just do this.. and 2013 is Yours!!

Thanks a ton for sharing & Wish you a Year full of Achievers!!

Best regards,

Durgesh

9. Samkih Nestor S. says:

Well said Robin. Thank you for the inspiring words & I equally wish you all the best in Life.. Lots of Love <3

10. Marco says:

Hi there,
    Thanks for giving such inspirational words. I a big fan of you. Keep up the great level of work! Happy New Year 2013!

11. Raj Parswanna says:

Dear Robin:

Always inspired by your new way of looking to live life..some are Join Traffic University, Everyone’s in Human Resources, Your greatest gift is so much stronger,…….all of 50 of them :)

Best wishes to everyone…

Cheers – Raj P

12. Ali Davies says:

A great reminder of the importance of being committed to learning (from the good, the bad and the ugly!!) and once we have learnt lessons that we must apply and implement them in order to reap the benefits.

13. Marcus says:

Great boost, thanks Robin!

14. Kiran says:

Great Post, Robin. Indeed the tips are game-changers. Happy 2013

15. Shradha says:

Thanks for such a inspirational tips happy new year 2013

16. Jyothsna says:

Awesome post Robin. I am a huge fan of you

17. Jyothsna says:

Awesome post Robin. I am a huge fan of you.

18. Pradeep Seth says:

Dear Robin, It is always best to listen to positive quotes and suggestions. I really liked as you have shared the points which, if followed by anyone can bring a change in his circumstances and career.

19. [...] Read More: “The 50 Business + Life Lessons 2012 Taught Me” [...]

20. Karan Patel says:

simply awesome

21. Salami Rasheed says:

Simply irresistible.

22. Tom Perrault says:

This is really great stuff.

23. [...] looking back over the past year and learning from it, Robin Sharma has some great points. What were your top business lessons from 2012? Take that and grow in 2013. Check out more great [...]

24. Margaret says:

Hullo SHarma,
    U mean a lot to my life!I wholly heatedly feel your purpose to this earth was Gods plan
    and your massages a directed to specific souls like me.
    Sometimes I sit and wonder what & where my life would be without knowing you.
    Robin from the bottom of my heart ,you mean a world to me.
    God bless you.

25. Teresa says:

Hi Robin,these 50 business and life lessons are very informative,have a blessed 2013

26. om says:

You are simply great Robin. I take this opportunity to thank you from the bottom of my heart and from all of us who believes in themselves and willing to do the way you do…..

27. Kushal Nagpure says:

Hi Robin Sir,

Thanks a lot for such a inspiring quote. Your quotes are making lots of difference in my life. I am realy very thankful to you. And Happy new year to you.

28. Shrikant gupta says:

Great! Inspiring!! happy 2013 Robin, Love you so much…………………………..

29. Eliud Njau says:

Thanks Robin for these great quotes. You are my valued mentor.
    God bless and Happy New Year to you Sir.

30. Rachael Banda says:

Thank you so much for your positive thoughts throughout the year 2012..I feel lucky to have known your work has it is the only way i can connect with you.You have helped me to have hope everyday that it’s going to be fine no matter what happens. Wishing you the best in this year 2013

your fan

31. G S Venugopal says:

Mr Robin Wish you a happy new year , the simplest word is the most powerfull. Your 50 lessons are the most effective. Thanks for posting them

32. Adina says:

Hey Robin!

Thank you for the precious lessons you wrote down for the whole world! :) Although it seems an ocean, every drop is part of it and each, regardless if not all, can make a difference.
    I was present at your conference in Bucharest last year and loved it.
    As an early start for the new and exciting 2013, I am wishing you a year wealthy in all your needs, surround yourself in positive energy, create, inspire and love because the world needs you! :) May you find the passion and strenght to continue living your dream!

Greetings from Romania!

33. Ramesh says:

50 motivating facts. Thanks for this Robin :)

34. Hariom Pandey says:

Robin your insights are truly remarkable. I thank you for bieng my hero and mentor .
    May this year bring energy, vitality ,happiness in your life.

35. Rajendran says:

Robin your words are realy giving lot of energy.. All 50 bullet points making me to move ahead…

36. C A DEEPAK DARJI says:

It has indeed been a zealous year of 2012 with all your inspirational thoughts.Thanks for being such a great fuel to our thoughts.Wish you a very great year ahead.

37. Keru says:

Thanx so much 4 ur guidance n inspiration hope 2receive more this yr.

38. Gururaj says:

Really Thought-provoking 50 points. Thanks Robin!!

39. Cate says:

Happy new year Robby,

Thanks a heap for the inspiration in 2012. I must admit, we are stuck together in 2013. I need you.

Thanks again.

40. Francie Shonhiwa says:

Robin, you are a true inspiration – I love the 50 points – just what the doctor prescribed. Thanks for always fuelling my life and for sharing your great wisdom. Of course, 2013 can only be great with all the tools you abundantly shower to the world. Look forward to seeing you in South Africa. Thanks Robin.

41. Dattatraya Katre says:

Wish you a very happy new year. You are simply great. Your expression, words are very appealing. I read many of your books. I like to read your note, thoughts. They are very enlightening. I feel very positive and energetic on reading. You are a great boon to society.

Thanks Robin.

42. Dear Robin,
    Fantastic mindset.Inspire me a lot.Continue in the same level of thought.God bless.

43. Atoo Namegh says:

You are my most outstanding mentor, Management leader and a teacher of all times. Your inspirations and sustained words of encouragement has greatly enhanced my personal performance in every day life. A + for all your winning team. 2013 promise a bigger picture.
    Atoo

44. [...] The 50 Best Business + Life Lessons 2012 Taught Me: A Powerful Post by Robin Sharma | Robin Sharma&#… – [...]

45. aisha says:

This is what i was looking for in my life! awesome list! Indeed, Thanks are drowning you!

46. Namita says:

Hey Robin…you are a God’s messenger….you are doing a great work….Hats off to you….i am deeply touched by your thoughts…i find them somewhere resembling mine…i really want to meet you in person at least once or have a chat with you online till we meet……
    Thanks a lot for transforming so many lives….
    Lots of love and regards
    Namita(India)

47. MS ROY says:

Thanks a lot for great source of inspiration.

48. Shacheendra Sharma says:

Thank you very much for sharing the ideas.