I’m sitting on an airplane thinking about what the best performers and most successful people do to continually outperform everyone around them.
As we enter what I hope will be the single best year of your life yet, I’ve come up with 35 Tips that I invite you to concentrate on. Share these tips, reflect on then, post them where you can see them – and allow them to infuse your mindset:
- Remember that the quality of your life is determined by the quality of your thoughts.
- Keep the promises you make to others – and to yourself.
- The project that most scares you is the project you need to do first.
- Small daily improvements are the key to staggering long-term results.
- Stop being busy being busy. This New Year, clean out the distractions from your work+life and devote to a monomaniacal focus on the few things that matter.
- Read “The War of Art”.
- Watch “The Fighter”.
- In a world where technology is causing some of us to forget how to act human, become the politest person you know.
- Remember that all great ideas were first ridiculed.
- Remember that critics are dreamers gone scared.
- Be “Apple-Like” in your obsession with getting the details right.
- Take 60 minutes every weekend to craft a blueprint for the coming seven days. As Saul Bellow once said: “A plan relieves you of the torment of choice.”
- Release your need to be liked this New Year. You can’t be a visionary if you long to be liked.
- Disrupt or be disrupted.
- Hire a personal trainer to get you into the best shape of your life. Superstars focus on the value they receive versus the cost of the service.
- Give your teammates, customers and family one of the greatest gifts of all: the gift of your attention (and presence).
- Every morning ask yourself: “How may I best serve the most people?”
- Every night ask yourself: “What 5 good things happened to me this day?”
- Don’t waste your most valuable hours (the morning) doing low value work.
- Leave every project you touch at work better than you found it.
- Your job is not just to work. Your job is to leave a trail of leaders behind you.
- A job is not “just a job”. Every job is a gorgeous vehicle to express your gifts and talents – and to model exceptionalism for all around you.
- Fears unfaced become your limits.
- Get up at 5 am and take 60 minutes to prepare your mind, body, emotions and spirit to be remarkable during the hours that follow. Being a superstar is not the domain of the gifted but the prepared.
- Write love letters to your family.
- Smile at strangers.
- Drink more water.
- Keep a journal. Your life’s story is worth recording.
- Do more than you’re paid to do and do work that leaves your teammates breathless.
- Leave your ego at the door every morning.
- Set 5 daily goals every morning. These small wins will lead to nearly 2000 little victories by the end of the year.
- Say “please” and “thank you”.
- Remember the secret to happiness is doing work that matters and being an instrument of service.
- Don’t be the richest person in the graveyard. Health is wealth.
- Life’s short. The greatest risk is risk-less living. And settling for average.
I genuinely wish you the best year of your life.
P.S. Membership into my 4 week online personal coaching program “YOUR ABSOLUTE BEST YEAR YET” is now open for a limited time. Doors close MIDNIGHT JANUARY 17th so join me right now: